Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Week One: An Overview

First of all, I have to admit, I've been waiting all year for this Quarter!  (When I prepare a year-long series, I know the end from the beginning.)  So for nine months, I've been chugging toward the goal of becoming a powerful leader, lover and healer!

My hope for those who are just joining is the same as for those who have been journeying with me from the beginning...is to become healthy American women!  My personal definition of healthy is: balanced, self-controlled, and fit in every area of my life: spiritually, emotionally, physically, and mentally.  Without realizing it, I have made it my life's work to achieve balance and teach it to others!  In the process, I've found myself a mentor to those who are both older and younger than me and I like that way!  I have developed a lifestyle and philosophy that isn't outdated, nor is it exclusive.

And I'm thrilled that you've joined me...

This week, I'd like for you to define and post your definitions of Leader, Lover, and Healer.  (Next week, we'll post our goals for each of these "roles.")  Here are mine...

Leader -- One who influences others
Lover -- One who inspires others
Healer -- One who impacts others

Our call will usually be about 10 minutes long each week and "fill in" the blanks:)!

Be encouraged,

Becky

15 comments:

  1. In the book, The 7 habits of highly effective people (read years ago) step 2 is: Begin with the end in mind. Looking forward to this quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robbie, what an appropriate book to mention this particular week. In it, Covey speaks of part of our mission being "to live, to laugh, to love, and to leave a legacy." That's part of what our group is about, too, isn't it?

    Those words came to mind last night as I learned of the passing of Apple's Steve Jobs. Knowing that his days on earth were numbered, he certainly didn't give up his passion; instead, he forged ahead and made the most of his talents until he could see his latest innovations unveiled to the world.--Don't know much about his spiritual life, but I pray that he is rejoicing in Heaven today.

    I'm looking forward to this quarter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully Steve came to know the Lord in His last days, everything I have read about him says he was aliened with the Buddhist religion. He was one amazingly innovative person. Unfortunately, it is nothing if you don't know Jesus as your personal savior.
    I have been bouncing ideas around in my head and haven't come up with my leader, lover, healer definitions.
    Influence defined: the capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something.
    he sense[imperceptible or indirect action exerted to cause change.]
    I would say that Becky nailed her definition of a Leader, loved the phrase "to cause change." Isn't that what she is motivating us to do: CHANGE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, you defined the three keywords as well as anyone could, making this an especially tough assignment! I'd prefer to stick with your definitions, but you've asked us to come up with our own, so here are mine:

    A leader - a positive force in a confusing world
    A lover - a refuge from harmful influences
    A healer - a balm for hurting souls

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still thinking about this one.
    Thinking I cant be these things if I dont have the Holy Spirit controlling me.

    Leader---One who communicates Biblical truth.
    Lover---One who communicates Biblical Love.
    Healer---One who brings healing through their Attitudes, Actions and Reactions.

    One of our former BSF teachers used to say: Do my Attitudes, Actions and Reactions reflect what I say I believe about Jesus?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we can use all these Leader, lover, healer comments. Wanda, you cease to amaze me with your gift with words.
    Laura: the ? that comes to mind here is what is Biblical Love?
    I need to make a decision about my next visit to my Mothers house, the question that came to me was how do I show Christian (biblical) love to my brothers? What does that look like. I error on the side of door mat and that isn't biblical love.
    I like all of your definitions and would and will use them but for the sake of doing my own work here are mine:

    Leader--one who energizes others.
    Lover---one who encourages others.
    Healer--one who brings about recovery in others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robbie, I'm thinking I Cor 13.
    But do I accomplish that all the time? no.
    Having an older sister who refuses to tell my Mom where she lives (no communication whatsoever), I struggle all the time.
    I think God gives me the words to pray for her, and I work hard on removing the anger.
    More than anything it hurts to know my Mom is again and her own daughter doesnt care.
    It's a touch call.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry I haven't commented on anything...I have been out of town and not following. There are some great comments here. Leader lover healer.
    I think I am learning, from my own experience, that only when we trust another for counseling and Godly wisdom, and only when those things in darkness are brought to the light, only then do we find healing and reconciliation. It requires effort to do it, and it may be costly to hire a counselor, but I will say, it is worth every cent. And, it may prevent a situation like the one with Laura's sister and her mother. We are all the "walking wounded" and so stubborn in our ways. We don't like to be vulnerable and admit it, but as humans, we cover up and hide and hope it will all go away, which it never does unless we deal with it in the light of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good grief, I wasnt spell checking anything!
    What I meant to say was my Mom is aging and it hurts to think something could happen where my sister never sees her again. In our case though, we are dealing with a mental illness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol, Insightful thoughts, glad to have you back. The key phrase "deal with it in the light of Christ" Good counseling is worth it's weight in gold and helpful to uncover the truth. Becky is fortunate to be married to one. I have benefited by good counseling and been set back by bad. I am open to hearing the truth and believe God reveals it to me through many channels. There are days that prayer: uncovers, bible reading:reveals, sermons: illuminate, friends: say truth. Colossians 3:5 "Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him. This week I have felt Gods healing balm on my open wounds helping me go forth in the task he has set before me. "Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives, Teach and COUNSEL each other with all the wisdom he gives"
    Thank you all for your comments. Laura I have memorized Corn 13 and will keep it in my heart when I travel to my Mom's house this week so that I might show christian love to my brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Everyone,
    ReportCard for last Q3:
    I WILL= change by having a HIT LIST to keep me focused.

    I WON't= yell or lose my temper. (not able but God can catch me)

    I MUST= IMParatives make my own list of MUSTS.

    Q4= week 1

    Hugbear WOW! This year and past years I have just wanted to tell you that I am still praying for you. I hear this Great teaching on HOPE on line "IBETHEL.tv" ck it out. We all need HOPE sometimes maybe every day during a period of time. LOVE U all. IAM PRAYING FOR U ALL>

    A Leader=a teacher
    A lover- is kind
    A healer= brings understanding to another

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just my 2 cents about LOVE

    That God is Love
    so i need to be close to GOD.
    keep on and keep on asking GOD to tenderize my HEART.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mickey, love your post. You have given me words to use this weekend a reminder that I am teaching as I lead with kindness and understanding. Your right that the closer we walk with God the more Love is poured out on us. Have a nice visit with your mom. We are both going to be around our mom's this weekend.

    ReplyDelete